Welcome to my Blog

If you are looking at this you must be friends with me - Rachel Unicomb. Thought this would be a good way to keep in touch with everyone so you can see what I'm up to on my travels. When it's all over it will also help me remember where I went! So feel free to check back whenever you like - hopefully I will find the time to keep it updated :)

Tuesday 1 February 2011

31 January, 2011 – My First Day in London

Murray chatting up a very life-like manniquin
Marble Arch
Well after a nice filling breakfast, Murray arrived to offer me the ‘London Introductory Tour’. First on the agenda was a trip to Oxford Street in search of a warmer jacket for me. Well once again I was reminded of home – whenever you are looking for something in the shops in a hurry, you will never find it - that’s familiar. Found a nice jacket, size eight, too big, need a six – there are none. Another nice one, size six, too small this time, need an eight, don’t have one.  After a few hours of strolling it was time to give up and head over to the Marble Arch, on the corner of Hyde Park. It wasn’t long before we developed a Jet Star theme throughout the photos – that explains all the jumping. Perhaps  Murray just wanted to humiliate me in hindsight J Although it was still only four degrees, believe it or not the sun was coming out, and we took the opportunity to go for a bike ride in the park, lest such a ‘nice’ day should never come around again. Well I am perhaps not the best bike rider, and this coupled with the fact I was already jetlagged (I will use that excuse anyway) meant that we only got half way to our destination before I was buggered.
'Feeding' a baby swan

At Hyde Park
 So we took a stroll through Hyde Park, which has the most beautiful white swans you have ever seen. They will come right up to you for food - and I intend to go back with some. Then it was on to Wellington Arch (more on that later) and the war memorials, including one dedicated to the British, one for the Aussies and one for New Zealand.
 Then it was across to Green Park and the home of her Royal Highness – Buckingham Palace. As it’s winter the guards were in their plainer uniforms, instead of the beefeater get-up. The gates were really impressive, as is the Victoria statue.

Buckingham Palace


Palace Gates

Murray & I at Buckingham Palace
 
Me with the old bill

Feeding the squirrels
    
Then it was onto St James Park and a real highlight for me – squirrels. Now I know other countries see them as pests but to me they are such a novelty.  They see you and come running down from the trees right up to your hand, place their little front feet on you and sniff you. They are so cute and their tails are beautiful. I don’t care how stupid I look crouched down in the middle of the park clicking my tongue (hey it works) I’m going to keep doing it!

Westminster Abbey
Then it was on to Trafalgar Square, where you can find the National Gallery, an impressive fountain (which wasn’t operational at the time due to repairs) and Nelson’s Column.

At Nelson's Column
Just around the corner are the Horse Guards near number 10 Downing Street, , which is hidden away and heavily guarded, gone are the days when you can just stroll by. The horse guards are the strong, silent type, but the horses are beautiful.  Poor things just stand there for hours on end and unfortunately no toilet breaks are allowed, so when they’ve got to go – well they go, as I was lucky enough to witness first-hand.
Me and a red bus

London Eye

Then it was time for a look at Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey – my favourite point on the trip. What a magnificent building! I am yet to go inside, but it’s pretty impressive. Then it was across Westminster Bridge for a look at the London Eye - and so my first day drew to a close. Mmmm tired.  



No comments:

Post a Comment